There are a lot of people that make a great living off full-time consulting. How? Well it’s because they work hard, never stop learning and put their heads out on the chopping block for others to have a go at. They push the boundaries in their fields and don’t back down from challenges.
Consulting isn’t a game and even though a lot of you out there think it’s an easy job. It ain’t. It takes dedication, innovation and control to make it as a consultant.
When I say, “Make it as a consultant,” I’m definitely not referring to a $80K per year salary, I’m talking about Millions of dollars. Now why would I say that you don’t have the guts to become a million dollar consultant?
Well let’s have a look below and see what I feel the reasons would be that you won’t make it as a consultant.
- You want to only work 4-5 hours per day.
- You keep focusing on your competitions pricing and try stay ahead/cheaper than they do.
- You don’t market yourself through a website or blog.
- You can’t tell the difference between consulting and advising.
- You can’t speak properly on a telephone.
- You are shy and don’t like making new friends.
- You can’t stand up for yourself and say no.
- You don’t do competitor analysis.
- You stopped learning after you got your degree.
- You hate reading.
- You play it safe and don’t take risks.
- You keep worrying about what others might think of you.
- You aren’t really an expert at anything.
- You have worked for a boss all your life.
- You will settle for second best as long as you get your share.
- You don’t have a mentor.
- You just decided that you dislike me after reading this.
As you can see the points above are fairly accurate to why someone wouldn’t make it in the consulting world if they were guilty of the points above. I hope you take some of these tips mentioned and rectify them in your life as a consultant and start dreaming bigger, working harder and earning more.